Ugandan Asians - Urban Trail

UGANDAN ASIANS
CN 08.12.1972 p3 Ugandan Asians in Carlisle

UKRANIANS
ENS 18.11.1957 p3 Ukranian social club opens - Grosvenor House
CN 07.10.1988 p44 Plaque marks a milestone for exiles
CN 30.03.1990 p5 (illus) Ukranian dancers
CN 06.12.1991 p11 Ukranian flag flies high
CN 14.11.1997 p3 Ukranians celebrate fifty years
CN 07.05.2004 p3 Feature on Ukranian community
CN 14.01.2005 p11 Ukranian Club refuge during Great Flood

UNADOPTED ROADS
CN 30.11.2001p3 Councillor fills in holes; 160 unadopted roads in city

UNDERWOOD’S Crown Works; Peter Street; Wiliam Underwood, aerated water manufacturer, died 01.05.1890 [Monumental Inscription 148/27]
Mineral water manufacturers
Carlisle from the Kendall Collection p31; photo of advertising float
E.Nelson Around Carlisle p46 photo of their delivey cart
CD 1902-03 Ad p11
CD 1952 Ad p254
CD 1955-56 Ad p220
CN 25.04.2008 p36 D.Perriam’s article on firm; formed 1880 last mentioned in 1990 telephone book
CN 02.05.2008 p13 Letter from William Underwood reminiscing

UNDERWOOD SECRETARIAL COLLEGE Viaduct Chambers
CD 1952 Ad p22

UNEMPLOYED ASSOCIATION, CARLISLE
ENS 15.12.1931 p2 Letter asking for donations for childrens Christmas party

UNEMPLOYMENT see EMPLOYMENT: LABOUR EXCHANGE

UNEMPLOYMENT GRANTS FUND
CN 29.07.1977 p4 History after First World War

UNICORN King’s Arms Lane; in local directories to 1837
1841 census; Old Unicorn, James Tait, aged 45m publican and bookseller
CP 18.12.1841 Ad; for sale ‘long established’ sign of Old Unicorn

UNION COURT The Lanes; certainly in existence by 14th century (Carlisle a frontier city p16)
The Lanes Remembered p 96 photo
1891 census 110 people living in this lane
1901 census; 102 people living in this lane

UNION INN/ HOTEL Citadel Row; in local directories from 1850 to 1894
1861 census Union Hotel, Richard Hoyle, innkeeper, aged 35, born Preston
CP 24.07.1868 p1 Ad; For sale in occupation of John Armstrong

UNION INN Irishgate Brow; in local directories from 1858 to 1861

UNION NEWS ROOM English Street; building opened in 1831; ground floor occupied by News Room, first floor by Carlisle Subscription Library
CIC p22
New Guide to Carlisle 1821 p55 Subscription News Room; agitation to join library
CN 17.08.1990 p4 (illus) News Room was a great asset to city

UNION OF POST OFFICE WORKERS CLUB Lonsdale Street
CN 15.12.1978 p10 Opening

UNIONS see also AMALGAMATED SOCIETY OF RAILWAY SERVANTS; GMB; STRIKES
See Amalgamated Soc. of Railway Servants Official Souvenir 1911 pp26 1BC 625\
CWAAS Vol 78 1978 The trade unon and radical activities of the Carlisle handloom weaves

UNION STREET Back to back houses dated from the 1820s; street laid out by the Union Building Society; slum clearance for council housing and street name changed to Rydal Street
CP 27.05.1854 p5 Open ditch or sewer running through street; noxious
City Minutes 1928-9 p665 nos. 93, 95, 97, 99, 101, 103 and 105; demolition order
Carlisle the Archive Photographs p92 photo of old housing in 1937
Carlisle an illustrated history p89 photo of housing in 1937

UNITARIAN CHAPEL James Street; became extension for electricity works; today part of Carlisle Enterprise Centre
Carlisle in Camera 1 p34 Photo of rear; built 1889
City Minutes 1910-11 p438 Trustees agreed Corporation offer to buy church
CJ 24.02.1950 p5
CN 07.01.2000 p12 Chapel mystery solved 50 years too late

UNITED BISCUITS see CARRS

UNITED BUS SERVICES/ STATIONS United came to Carlisle in January 1931 with the take over of the Emmerson service between Newcastle and Carlisle; County Garage, Duke St their first terminus; 1935/36 they acquired property in Peter St on which they built their own garage, becoming operational in 01.05.1937; United used Peter Street depot as terminus until it opened Scotch St depot on 12.09. 1938; United services transferred to Ribble on 05.01.1969, at which time the Peter St depot closed and was ultimately demolished; on 06.03.1971 remaining former United services transferred to Lowther Street Bus Station
City Minutes 1929 - 30 p 664 Licensed bus services
Carlisle an illustrated history p80 Copy of painting in 1955 of bus station

UNITED KINGDOM INDEPENDENT PARTY
CN 25.10.1996 p4 UK Independents seek to launch county party

UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
Formed by the unification of the Congregational and Presbyterian churches
see St George’s United Reformed Church

UNITED SERVICES CLUB
M.Dickens Those Were the Days p33 Opened new club rooms in October 1950
ENS 29.08.1987 Club set to move into former cinema in Botchergate
ENS 22.02.1988 Club plans to revamp former Studios Cinema

UNITED STATES VINTAGE CAR RALLY
CN 03.09.1954 P9

UNITED YEAST PARTY Fisher Street
Cumberland Directory 1954 Ad p286

UNIVERSITY
See also Polytechnic; St Martins College
CN 30.04.1965 p11 CN 18.03.1966 p8 CN 07.06.1968 p1
CN 11.10.1974 p9 CN 20.12.1974 p8 CN 27.12.1974 p1
CJ 23.01.1948 p1 Proposal
CN 15.01.1965 p11 Possibility
CN 06.03.1992 p21 Recruiting city campus lecturers
CN 20.03.1992 p7 University campus
CN 05.06.1992 p22 Council gives priority to student digs
CN 09.10.1992 p7 Forging a link with the future
CN 09.10.1992 p3 Launching a new era for the city
CN 03.12.1993 p5 Students win your long battle
CN 24.06.1994 p1 Way paved for city university
CN 01.07.1994 p17 Angry lecturers bin new work contracts
CN 01.07.1994 p16 Carlisle College and University make history
CN 19.08.1994 p12 Elite campus
CN 30.09.1994 p3 Up market university
CN 07.10.1994 p1 Sally Army aids students
CN 07.10.1994 p5 Cathedral link forged
CN 28.10.1994 p3 Cashing in on campus
CN 13.01.1995 p5 Campus deal with market abandoned
CN 14.07.1995 p6 University bid
CN 16.08.1996 p3 Student plan for new license...more noise
CN 08.11.1996 p5 University pledge - we’ll open in city next year
CN 28.03.1997 p2 New boss
CN 18.04.1997 p1 14MU hold up won’t deter college
CN 06.06.1997 p5 MP wants city centre excellence
CN 20.06.1997 p1 Professor
CN 21.11.1997 p7 An honour for John on Varsity students big day
CN 13.03.1998 p1 College may buy hospital site
CN 27.03.1998 p1 Campus expansion
CN 31.07.1998 p5 Expansion hits snag
CN 02.10.1998 p7 Campus launches new care degree
CN 09.10.1998 p12 University challenge
CN 13.11.1998 p19 New campus - top of the class
CN 05.02.1999 p6 Campus opens up for a day
CN 16.07.1999 p15 Growing degree ceremony switches to sands Centre
CN 28.01.2000 p17 Students meeting gets great new look
CN 08.12.2000 p3 £2.8m campus centre to go ahead
CN 18.05.2001 p5 Uni.of Northumbria; Carlisle Campus-new resource centre
CN 19.04.2002 p16 Chris Bonington will open new resource centre on May 13th
CN 10.05.2002 P1 £3.2m library opened in Milbourne Street
CN 17.05.2002 p19 Chris Bonington opens £3.2m library
CN 30.08.2002 p1 University of Northumbria ready to leave city; opinion p12
CN 06.09.2002 p3 Silence over University closure
CN 06.09.2002 p13 Letter concerning threat of University leaving
CN 22.11.2002 p12 Why we need a University for Cumbria; editorial
CN 16.05.2003 p1 University of Cumbria in 3 years
CN 11.07.2003 p1 Head of Northumbria Uni. Carlisle Campus quits over closure
CN 25.07.2003 p8 Uni committed to city; only pull out if suitable provider found
CN 09.07.2004 p1 In comes Central Lancashire out goes Uni of Northumbria
CN 06.08.2004p1 Delay in handover until September
CN 13.08.2004 p13 Halls of Residence bought by Impact Housing
CN 03.09.2004 p13 Letter concerning Carlisle’s University Halls of Residence
CN 16.09.2005 p1 University of Cumbria to be based in Carlisle
CN 23.09.2005 p12 Feature on proposed new University of Cumbria
CN 05.05.2006 p1 St Martin’s College and Cumbria Institute of Arts to merge in August 2007 to form new University of Cumbria; University of Central Lancashire agree to hand over to new university Carlisle and Newton Rigg campuses
CN 06.10.2006 p1 New University unveils plans for new city centre HQ
CN 02.08.2007 pp1,5 Amalgamation of St Martin’s College, University of Central Lancashire and Cumbria Institute of the Arts to form University of Cumbria

UNMARRIED MOTHERS see ILLEGITIMATE BIRTHS

UPPERBY
Upperby is first noted as a placename in about 1164 when it is called Hobrihtebi, by 1592  this has become Upperbye. The first element is a personal name Hubert added to which is by meaning a village or hamlet. 1610 Survey of the Soccage lands of Carlisle, [original in Howard of Naworth Archive, Durham Univerity, ref C49/1. See Northern History Vol XX, 1984] shows Uprightbye towne; Upperby Cooperative Society formed 22.08.1829. The Lancaster and Carlisle Railway which runs through the parish opened on 17.12.1846. The 1906 Directory describes Upperby as a’pretty village’. Upperby became a part of the city in November 1912. The 1924 Ordnance Survey map shows  little development in Upperby, the area retaining a rural feel, the centre of the village being around the cross roads of Lamb St/ Upperby Rd/St Ninians Rd.;there was significant council house building in the Upperby and Currock areas both pre and post WWII. After 1924 Henderson Rd, Holmes Av and Mount Pleasant Road are built [all council housing]; these streets first appearing on the electoral registers for 1928. Buchanan Road, again council housing, first appears in the electoral register in 1924, Sewell Rd [council housing] in 1926. Pre 1939 1268 council houses were built in Upperby and Currock; between 1939 – 1958 another 580 were built in Upperby and Currock. The 2002 population estimates show 5523 people living in Upperby Ward. In 2001 of the 2401 households in Upperby  908 households were local authority rented, 508 owned outright, 730 buying, 75 housing authority rented, 59 privately rented, 121 other
CJ 15.07.1921 p5 CJ 14.10.1938 p10 CJ 21.10.1938 p10
CJ 28.10.1938 p10 CJ 04.11.1938 p10
CPacquet 14.05.1782 p3 Ad for estate at Upperby; also Upperby Mill
Carlisle Examiner 10.09.1859 p3a Uperby flower show and bazaar
CP 14.01.1898 p5e Archdeacon Diggle on religious education
CJ 26.04.1921 p2a War memorial - in cemetery
CJ 05.11.1940 p2 Poplar trees in Upperby Vicarage cut down
CJ 05.01.1962 p3 Sitting stone
CJ 03.08.1962 p7 (illus) Lamb Street cottages demomlished
CN 01.10.1971 p14 Early
CN 01.10.1971 p14 Village Hall
CN 08.03.1974 p6 (illus) Mock mayors
CN 15.03.1974 p6 Mock mayors
CN 29.03.1974 p6 Historical
CN 10.08.1990 p4 City suburb was village King gave away
CN 03.02.1995 p3 Homes ‘yes’ likely
CN 14.07.1995 p1 Upperby folk streets ahead
CN 10.11.1995 p7 City calendar turns back the pages
CN 17.04.1998 p7 Aerial view
CN 19.05.2006 p5 Crackdown on Currock and Upperby Estates; 120 vandal incidents in 6 months
CN 02.05.2008 p7 132 new homes at Upperby, near land where workmen and two children died from methane gas which leaked from former dump; land between Brisco Meadow, Cammock Cres and West Coast Main Line
CN 01.08.2008 p11 Lamb Street Post Office closes last Wednesday

UPPERBY BRIDGE Built 1888
CN 16.02.1968 p12 CN 06.05.1988 p4
CP 25.02.1898 p3a,b Rebuilding and raising causeway of Upperby railway bridge
CN 08.05.1992 p4 Public paid up to build bridge

UPPERBY CEMETERY Opened July 1881
See also Cemetery and Funerals

UPPERBY CHURCH see SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

UPPERBY GALA
CN 02.06.2000 p18 First Upperby Gala since regeneration oh Hammond’s Pond
CN 19.05.2006 p21 20th anniversary Upperby Gala

UPPERBY INSTITUTE Opened by Alderman Nicholson 26.12.1922; the building also contains 4 dated stones 08.11.1922

UPPERBY MEN’S INSTITUTE
CN 24.02.1978 p36 CN 30.03.1979 p1

UPPERBY MAYOR The chian of office of the Upperby Mayor is now in the Tullie House Museum collection
D.Perriam Carlisle Remembered p124 Mock Mayor of Upperby

UPPERBY MILL
CN 15.08.2008 p36 Earliest mention 1244-45; later this site became County Laundry and Lakeland Laundry

UPPERBY PARK On the first edition large scale Ordnance Survey sheet of 1865 only fields with a small pond are shown in this area; in 1884 the land belonged to the Charles Bromley Brick and Tile Works; by 1897 John Johnston, brickmaker, and Hammond and Son, nurserymen and florists are present; on the 1901 Ordnance Survey map Brick Field and Brick Field Cottage are placenames here, the land is marshy and there are now several irregular ponds; Mr Hammond saw the old brick/ clay pits as ripe for leisure development as a lake; opened by Archie Hammond on Whit Sunday 1923; 1928 Mr Hammond died and in 1931 the city bought the 28 acres for £1,850; known as Pleasureland and afterwards Hammond;’s Pond; cafe opened 01.04.1961
D.Perriam Carlisle Remembered pp90-92
Carlisle an illustrated history p88 photo of park
CN 15.06.1973 p6 CN 09.07.1976 p6
CJ 24.10.1939 p1 Shelter handed over
CJ 27.10.1939 pp1,5 (illus) Shelter handed over
CN 28.10.1939 p5 Upperby Park sun trap shelter
CJ 28.09.1948 p1 Miniature railway
CJ 01.10.1948 p2 Miniature railway
CJ 13.09.1949 p1 Miniature railway opened
CN 30.03.1961 p1 (illus) Cafe opened
ENS 04.08.1970 p6 Fun in the sun at Hammonds Pond
CN 15.06.1973 p6 Opening ceremony
CN 29.06.1973 p6 (illus) History
ENS 16.08.1976 p3 (illus) Getting all steamed up over trains
ENS 11.04.1978 p1 (illus) Seekers lost on city folk
CN 12.01.1990 p7 Floating a money saving scheme
ENS 01.08.1994 p1 Pond poison alert
CN 31.03.1995 p5 Poison scum shuts pond
ENS 26.03.1996 p5 (illus) Yob-hit park is picked for revamp
ENS 28.05.1996 p6 (illus) Ship shape in Upperby
CN 14.06.1996 p3 Parents in fear of children safety
CN 14.06.1996 p3 D-Day next week£1.5m plan
ENS 18.06.1996 pp6-7 (illus) Troubled waters
CN 31.01.1997 p5 Pond hopes
CN 10.07.1998 p12 £1m liquid asset
CN 19.02.1999 p29 (illus) Pond’s £1m beauty treatment
CN 24.03.2000 p11 Swan return
CN 19.05.2000 p3 (illus) Miniature railway steaming again
CN 02.06.2000 p18 Upperby gala
CN 25.08.2000 p3 Louts make park in Upperby a ‘no-go’ area
CN 01.09.2000 p13 Letter concerning vandalism at Upperby Park
CN 06.04.2001 p20 Letter; threatened at Upperby Park

UPPERBY PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHURCH Date stone of 1901
CJ 06.06.1902 New chapel opened yesterday
175 Years of Carlisle p39 Photo of their centenary in 1907

UPPERBY RAIL DEPOT see RAILWAYS; UPPERBY RAIL DEPOT

UPPERBY SCHOOL 1828 subscription set up for small school; 1847 taken over by National Society as Parochial School; 1854 new and enlarged school built; 1912 new school built; Upperby Infants and Junior Schools merged to form Upperby Primary on 31.08.1992
CP 20.05.1854 p5 Upperby New Schools nearly completed
CP 10.06.1854 p5 Upperby New Schools publically opened
Carlisle The Archive Photos p102 photo of Upperby Board School in 1896
ENS 10.09.1960 p1 Fire
CN 06.05.1988 p11 History lesson to remember
CN 24.11.1989 p5 School bid wins support
CN 04.09.1992 p17 New school now open
CN 12.02.1993 p23 (illus) School worth waiting for
CN 01.10.1993 p27 School wins top award
CN 21.01.1994 p4 150 years ago
CN 13.05.1994 p4 School design honour
CN 14.02.1997 p17 Bargain hunters have a ball
CN 31.03.2000 p7 Minister opens tribute to headteacher John

UPTON, David
CN 07.04.2006 p10 Feature on Carlisle piano tuner

URBAN DRIVING SCHOOL
CN 01.03.1991 p8 Learn to drive with the best
CN 29.09.1995 p6 Ad

URBAN TRAIL
CN 17.09.1976 p6